You Are What You Read

Reviews of books as I read them. This is basically a (web)log of books I've read.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

I am a DBA/database analyst by day, full time father on evenings and weekends.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk

I have been a fan of the works of David Sedaris for a while so I looked forward to getting the audiobook of Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. However, I was disappointed. The stories are not up to his usual quality. To say that the tone is dark does not grasp the full quality. Some of the stories amount to little more than extended puns, a build up to a corny joke. Most of the characters, though they are animals, have no redeeming qualities--misanthropic might be the word.

The last story, "The Grieving Owl", about an owl who befriends a hippopotamus, has one of the best buildups and endings, despite being dark and dirty. It ends, "...this trio of newfound friends, so far-fetched we simply had to be true." It brings a small note of tenderness to an otherwise bitter story. The rest of the stories leave a bitter or sarcastic feeling. That could be forgiven if they were funny, but Sedaris goes for the cheap laugh, the potty humor.

This is definitely not up to Sedaris's other works. His most touching stories have the note of truth and human compassion. These stories are primarily scatalogical and cheap. It's too bad, because I thought they had the potential for more. C-



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home