You Are What You Read

Reviews of books as I read them. This is basically a (web)log of books I've read.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

I am a DBA/database analyst by day, full time father on evenings and weekends.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Foreign language books

I came across the blog Three Percent, about international literature in translation. The title comes from the fact that only 3% of U.S. published works are works in translation, and only 0.7% are literary fiction or poetry. Obviously there's a lot of great literature written in languages other than English. I can hope that some of the best are being translated so to be accessible to those of us who can really only read in English. I'd like to be able to read a book in French or Spanish, but realistically I'll likely never be proficient enough.

I've only read two translated books in the last year, Siddhartha and Chronicle of a Death Foretold. I think that's going to change in the near future. I hope to read some translated books, more than two a year anyway. I'm already planning on reading 2666. Hopefully I can find more good foreign language books to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home