You Are What You Read

Reviews of books as I read them. This is basically a (web)log of books I've read.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

I am a DBA/database analyst by day, full time father on evenings and weekends.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Modern Scholar: Greek Drama

Greek Drama is an installation of the great Modern Scholar series. I listened to the 7 CDs of 14 lectures. The lectures gave a great overview and in depth analysis of early greek drama.

The professor covers the plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripedes, and Aristophanes. From my earlier readings of the plays, I wasn't aware of the depth and complexity of the plays. Of course one must know the background of Greek myth, and especially the Trojan war. The lecturer goes into great detail of the events in the background. He also discusses the political background, and the cultural and religious significance of the plays.

The lectures are a strong A. I was already interested in Greek drama before, so that may have affected my enjoyment. It may not be for everyone, but even those not familiar with greek drama can appreciate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home